Sunday, December 16, 2007

Went to the butchers...



to order a free range bird for Christmas and he said "Free range, eh?"
So I said, "Yes."
And he said, "We've a new line. Very old breed of turkey. Goes way back, to the dinosaurs. Angry type. We'll need a deposit."
"Does it graze in the wild?" I said.
"It grazes anywhere it fucking well likes." He said.
So I said, "Show me a picture."
And he pulled out a police mug shot with the turkey looking mean and right into the camera.
"Will it go into an average oven?" I said.
"That depends." He said.
"On what?" I said.
"If you've an average oven." He said.
So I said, "You miss the point."
And he said "So did the turkey."
So I said, "How did you kill it?"
And he said, "With a gun."
"With a gun?" I said.
And he said, "Yes."
"What kind of gun?" I said.
"A big one." He said.
"A big one?" I said.
And he said "Yes."
So I said, "It wasn't with a spear then?"
And he said, "No."
We both paused.
"There was a spear involved." He said.
"Was there?" I said
And he said, "Yes,"
So I said, "And was this spear behind the point that was missed?"
And he said, "Yes."
So I said, "That explains the gun."
And he said, "Yes."
"Okay then, I'll have one of your turkeys. When shall I collect?" I said.
And he said, "I lied about the gun."
So I said, "You did?"
And he said, "Yes."
"It's not dead yet, is it?" I said.
And he said, "No."
So I said, "What do I get for my deposit?"
And he said, "A spear and a gun."
So I said, "A spear and a gun?"
And he said, "Yes."
So I said, "You do home delivery?"
And he said, "Sort of."
So I said, "Sort of?"
And he said "It delivers itself."
"Hence the spear and the gun?" I said.
And he said, "Yes."
"When this angry bird arrives I'll be expected to shoot it, or stick it with this spear." I said.
And he said, "You won't have to pluck it."
So I said, "Why?"
And he said, "Highly anxious type. By Christmas it'll have plucked itself."
"Well, thank heavens for small mercies."I said.
And he said. "Yes."
"All I have to do is kill it?" I said.
"Proves it's free range." He said.
"Shall I return the gun and spear after Christmas?" I said.
"No, you keep them." He said.
"Really," I said.
"Really," He said.
"And why is that?" I said.
"It's got relatives." He said.
"Fair enough." I said and left the shop.

9 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hey, what happened to my comment? Some darn gobbler went an' ate it!

I was saying you'd better get them bad cats to help you catch that beast...and now you'll see the benefits of them cats and you'll stop bad-mouthing them.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

I've already spoken to the cats out back and they want nothing to do with this affair. Apparently turkey has been round making threats. Initially they thought it was a huge budgerigar throwing a strop until it ate one of them. They won't speak to me until their digested friend has been returned. Well, they'll bloody wait a long time! Wonder if it'll affect the taste of the meat on Christmas day.Hmmm, it'll give me something to look forward to.

to touch a unicorn said...

LOL That is one mean looking bird Dan, make sure the sun is behind you and go for it at high noon , well, that's my advice.
And a cat-stuffed turkey??? Hmmm that's a new one, enjo it if you can.
Good Luck! and a very merry Christmas a Happy New Year to you and yours .
Sandy
xx

Hayden said...

Merry Christmas and tasty returns of the gobbler...

will be waiting to find out who won. If it's the gobbler, will you give him 'guest' status to post of the battle?

K. Restoule said...

Sorry but that is one UGLY Turkey. No thanks.

Buffy said...

I think your butcher is my butcher.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hope the turkey didn't gobble you, Dan.

Rachel said...

I loved this so much, have got muesli coming out of my nose with laughter

Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

A late start to the new year for me but many happy good ones to you and your kin. Re the bird, hey, it was eaten. Hey, it was either it or me. What more can one say?

x


Hayden,

As you can probably tell from this note, it was me that survived and the bird that got the...bird. Ha ha.

x

K,

You're right about that bird being ugly, it was also mean and wouldn't buy a round when we all drove to a pub for festive drinks. Claimed it had no money, claimed it didn't know what money was, claimed its pockets were empty, nevertheless that bird had a taste for gin, surpising really given it also claimed an irish heritage. Well, when it said Irish it meant approximately where Ireland was a couple of million years previously. Someone did say, if it was so old how come it liked gin, a relatively modern drink? The bird told him to fuck off. Seems regardless of pedigree that boid had no class. Told me to fuck off too so we shot it with the big gun. Cest la mort!

Buffy,

A strange one that butcher, in Stockton Heath which is part of Warrington which is in Cheshire. I have this idea you live in Cheshire. Hmmm, Cheshire butchers, must be a type about them.

G,

That boid was not a gobbler, well not in the conventional sense of the word. It was though a heavy drinker, which is not quite the same thing. I'd like to say it was a shame we had to kill it, but it wasn't, a shame that is. Bugger had it coming.

Rachel darling,

Welcome!

xx