Monday, August 29, 2005

Dolls are funny...

things and get everywhere. On Thursday I was visiting a house in Moss Side and noticed a very cool Action Man reclining on a roof. He was bronzed, wearing fashionable black shorts and looked every inch relaxed, in fact I'm convinced he winked though that might have been wishful thinking. Hey, I can't be the only one attracted to his scar! So some type of doll template must have clicked in my head because I began to see them everywhere. In the UK lorry drivers have this odd habit of tying dolls and teddy bears to the front grill of their trucks and it's frustrating to hear half heard stuff as they whizz past. Like,

"Fucking hell, fucking hell, fucking hellllllllllll."

Their tiny faces and rictus grins pinned by wind pressure to grills sticky with splattered insects. And that Doppler fade which makes it all sound a little sad, well it would if their life were not so exciting. Oh yes, I have heard them say other things. Where I live all the bin wagons have dolls accompanied by teddy bears, some have only teddy bears and some have only dolls and recently I saw one with a tableau of Washington Crossing the Delaware in an Action Man canoe. George was represented by a magnificent teddy whose arm has been stapled to his forehead in the manner of someone who has eyes only for the far shore. It was impressive and as this vehicle drifted past I could hear them muttering.

"Why didn't he do a beach scene like last time.... Oh god I'm gonna Pwrrggaaahhhhhhgggrrruuuuttthhhh.."
The last thing I heard was one tiny voice asking, "Who's Ruth?"

Recently a dog ran past me and in it's mouth was the sweetest looking doll in a summer dress, but she had such aggression.

"Dog you are dead, do you hear me, dead. I'm going to kick your arse the moment we stop. What the fuck you looking at dickhead!" That last bit was addressed to me.
I replied. "It's not a crime to look."
"Yeah right up my skirt you perv. I've got your number and when I've done with this dog I'll be round to yours."
No one was listening, not even the dog and as it ran down the street that little voice was still shouting. "Dog you are fucked, fucked... Jeeze it was easier being pinned to a wagon."

There's lots of angry dolls about plus some serious psycho dolls such as Victorian pot dolls on window sills, facing outward, no doubt concealing the axes they'd so dearly love to stick in our unwary heads. And the way their sunken eyes, like they've a serious drug habit follow you up the street. Fuck knows what the Victorians were thinking to design such horrors, mind you with laudanum being so prevalent can we be at all surprised by anything that sprang from such imaginations. Nevertheless I'm sure many a Victorian middle class child were really chuffed when daddy returned from work with a hate doll.

"Here you go my darling, a loverly doll. I know it looks mean but the axe was free and that livid mark around it's neck is a fault in the mould. Yes darling, the clothes are basic but let's face it Hessian is the next big thing. And those enormous hands, all the better for holding on to."

Which is okay until the morning when daddy finds his little girl with a baby doll axe planted squarely in her forehead. Kind of explains why they had such large families, the toy/child attrition rate was a national scandal. Imagine how hard it must have been before the Factory Acts banned children from playing with toys? Chucky? Fucky more like.

Ever since childhood I've liked cribs at Christmas. Joseph, Mary, the baby Jesus, the three kings, that generator, that wolf and those gobby pigs. I was always cheered by a good crib though after so long I'm now sick of Joseph moaning about his knees, the quality of straw, that bastard Rumpelstilskin and Mary's wandering eye. Give it a rest Joe I want to shout. However, it is a season of goodwill and dolls do their best which is why any crib worth its salt should have a mini bar, only for guests mind and only as a treat. A tip for those new to crib buying, avoid the Josephs with rosy cheeks cos once the capillaries have blown there's no way back to innocence.

Finally, I was going to say a little something about why shop window mannequins are so emaciated but will save that for another time.

9 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

If you ever read Enid Blyton you'd know...Amelia Jane lives.

Dolls are weapons too. My cousin and I used to bash each other with our dolls.

But after this post?

I'll never see dolls the same again.

You're in fine form again, Dan :-D I love the way you take everyday things and turn them into damn mad characters.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hey Dan, y'know how journalists / writers / whoever do commentaries on the radio about daily events, serious issues?

I can just hear yours...spoof...satire...?

Anonymous said...

i hated dolls when i was a child

Anonymous said...

sorry that was me. there is something wrong with blogger an i can't sign in

piu piu

Dan Flynn said...

Being a boy I wasn't allowed to play with dolls however when I was 4 I did have a dog on wheels that these awful boys tossed onto the roof of a nearby garage. I was heartbroken and can remember it even now. Bastards! I loved that dog, it was kind and didn't swear or spit.

Anonymous said...

Action Man has always been a cool dude. Used to borrow him from my (boy) cousin. My Barbies used to make a big fuss of him and always ignored Ken whenever he was about.

Dan Flynn said...

Twine,

I always thought that any doll called Ken would be a woos. Talk about weak chinned, no chin more like. Now your Action Man, he's a real doll. Did you ever see the Action Man with the slitty eyes that moved left and right via a lever sticking from the back of his head? Now is that weird or what. I always thought that Action Man was so disturbing it even made Ken look good. Ho hum.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Slitty eyes??

And I thought the Green Goblin doll was bad!

My poor little nephew got conned by his older brother that the Spiderman doll was bad, and the Green Goblin was good.

So the poor little sweetie hung on to his Green Goblin doll, which he called "Geen Dollin."

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Well Dan, this photo aught to give you nightmares and cold sweats.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caribbeancolors/40940193/
Thanks for making a romp through my site.